The only thing you can really count on when you start a new project, is that it’s not going to go according to plan. But that’s ok, because sometimes it turns out even better than you had imagined!
As many of you know I had planned to participate in the Spring One Room Challenge for a kitchen/living room upgrade. However, thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic, things are COMPLETELY different. I’m not able to go out and purchase the supplies I needed for the projects that I had in mind, and the timing just didn’t feel right. That said, I needed to do something to pass the time and improve our space. I focused on using things I had purchased previously, along with two generous partnerships: D Lawless Hardware and D Marie Interiors. They provided me with hardware for kitchen cabinets and peel-and-stick tile for my kitchen island, and I am so grateful!
This post is sponsored however, all opinions and comments are my own.
So.. I know there is nothing wrong with our kitchen. Here is a before shot. You can see more of it on this post here, when I painted the island in 2017
The kitchen is the centre of our home, where we eat, gather, and tell stories about our day. To be honest, I’ve never really loved this space in our home, so I wanted to see if I could infuse some of my personality and style into it.
How do you upgrade a kitchen on a budget during a pandemic?
- Outsource help if you can. I definitely outsourced the backsplash because there was no way in hell that I could install a backsplash over 55 square feet with a subway tile pattern. Unfortunately, I don’t have the time to do the labour, nor the tools and resources to pull it off. I hired a contractor, and he did a fantastic job! However, if this is not in the cards for you, D.Marie Interiors has an AMAZING selection of peel-and-stick tile that is meant to be used as a BACKSPLASH. It’s affordable and so easy to install, requiring only a measuring tape, pencil, and a box cutter. Check out their selection here.
- Focus on small upgrades that create an impact. Upgrading your cabinet hardware can really change the look of your kitchen cabinets! Another inexpensive change that can give your kitchen a new designer look, is changing out your light fixtures. What about peel and stick tile? These are amazing and you can use them in a variety of ways, including upgrading your island! Small upgrades like these can add a designer look at a fraction of the cost.
- Paint is your best friend. I had debated painting this island, and with the pandemic evolving, I’m only venturing out when absolutely necessary. So, I took a paint sample I had (from another project), mixed in some BB Frosch Chalk Powder (4 years old, and best investment ever) and painted my kitchen island. Honestly, this magic chalk paint powder is my go-to for painting furniture! With this product, you can turn ANY paint into chalk paint by mixing it in, which means no sanding or stripping – and you know much I love shortcuts!
So, without further ado, here is my Kitchen Upgrade on a Budget!
This kitchen is not only where we eat and prepare food, it’s also a craft station, lesson room, playroom and really where we spend most of our time! Although it wasn’t exactly the renovation I had in mind, I am so glad that I put in the work to make it more beautiful – especially now that we’re spending so much time at home.
This is a great project to help pass the time while being stuck at home during the pandemic. So there you have it – You can absolutely transform your kitchen into a new space with a small budget, limited renovations skills, all while chasing a toddler!
- D Lawless Hardware Cabinet Pulls
- Peel-and-stick Alfama Tile by D Marie Interiors
- Pendant Light Fixture
- Island Paint: Benjamin Moore in Newburyport Blue
- BB Frosh Chalk Paint Powder
- Kitchen Table
- Kitchen Chairs
Love it Areeba!! We had to put a stop to our DIY projects because I didn’t buy any material hopefully when it all ends can do it Inshallah
thank you!! yea i hear you completely! InshAllah this all ends soon and we can get back to DIY’ing
Love it! The tiles on the island are a refreshing change!
thank you love
Love it, great transformation ????
Love the tiles!
thank you love <3
Ayesha C says
Such a phenomenal transformation! Looks so beautiful, masha’Allah! ????