I have a friend from high school, who I became friends with because our mom’s would drop us off to school at 7:30 am before work and our lockers were next to each others. We used to hang out in the quiet hallways and do our homework or chat. Alhmadullillah, 16 years later, we are still the best of friends, and our daughter’s are three weeks apart in age and also the best of friends.
Why am I telling you this?
For the sole reason that this is her mom’s recipe, who she calls Mummy – hence the title of the blog post. In fact, the baking genes run deep in their family and all of the kids are excellent cooks and bakers with even professional cake making businesses!
So here is Mummy’s Banana Bread Recipe – the OG version. My modified version has less sugar and thats the only change I have made, because this recipe is actually GOLD. I have tried banana bread recipe after recipe, and NOTHING compares to this one. It took me a while to figure out the baking time in my oven, so that may need some playing around on your end – but apart from that, this is the kind of recipe that deserves its own set of bananas in your grocery shopping list on a weekly basis!
Mummy’s Banana BreadCourse: Recipes
- Dry Ingredients
1.5 cup all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar – my modification is to only add 1/4 cup sugar
- Wet Ingredients
2-3 extra ripe bananas, mashed
3/4 cup oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional but Mandatory in my opinion
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or chopped walnuts… or BOTH!!
- The original instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Mix all dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk or beat the sugar, eggs and oil together.
- Add dry mixture into wet mixture, folding until well combined.
- Add mashed banana’s into the mixture and fold until combined.
- Add half the optional toppings (chocolate chips or walnuts) and fold into the batter.
- Pour into a parchment paper lined loaf pan, and sprinkle the other half of the optional toppings
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until centre is cooked through. Eat immediately!
- My version of the instructions – i.e. the lazy version.
- In your kitchen aid mixer or by hand, mash bananas using a paddle attachment.
- Add in all the ingredients, and mix using the same attachment or fold in with a spatula until well incorporated.
- Add in the full 1/2 chocolate chips and fold with a spatula.
- Pour into a loaf pan, and top off with more chocolate chips and bake as instructed and eat immediately!
There you have it friends! Super easy, and a must have in these COVID-19 days where all our favourite coffee shops are closed and we need our treat fix at home! I have shared this recipe on Instagram many times before, and the photo I have used above is SO OLD because I have been making this recipe for 3 years now. So many of you have tried it and sent me photos, and I am sharing some of the photos shared by YOU below <3
PIN THIS FOR LATER