I wrote this blog post last year in April and I am updating it now to reflect some changes in my skin care routine!
Now let me tell you two things up front:
1. I have naturally dry skin to start off with, so not everything may work for you. Although, all the products I use are meant for all skin types. However, still be cautious.
2. Good skin care is usually EXPENSIVE. You want to know why? Because good quality skin care is an investment, for the largest organ in your body. However, I think some quality things go a long way when combined with drug store products. I will share that below.
So lets get started. I will first tell you about my morning routine, most of which I have now been doing for over 6 years. Some products have changed over the years, especially the addition of the serum (given that I turned 30 last month). But, it has stayed the same generally.
Morning Skin Care Routine
- Wash face with Foreo Luna (I recently upgraded to the 2.0 version, but had the first edition since it launched 6 years ago) and a non-beaded cleanser. I have recently been using the Drunk Elephant Beste No. 9 Cleanser and it works SO well! It takes off any makeup residue from the night before, and leaves your skin feeling sparkly and new.
- Pat dry face with CLEAN face towel – I cannot stress the importance of this! If you take away anything from this post – it must be this. Keep a stack of clean face towels (7-8) in your bathroom drawer. Pull one out every time you wash your face. Your face will thank me later. Ikea has a great value pack for these, or make a trip to your local Homesense/winners for some cute ones!
- Apply Drunk Elephant C-Firma Vitamin C Serum mixed with two drops of the Drunk Elephant’s Virgin Marula Antioxidant Face Oil– Okay so I started using this combination every second day since last April (the marula oil has been added in the last 3 months). And man, have I seen results. I have STOPPED WEARING FOUNDATION, because my skin is in the best shape it has been, in terms of brightness, clarity, and vibrancy, in over a decade!
- On days where my skin feels extra dry, or I am layering some foundation, I also apply the Drunk Elephant Lala Retro™ Whipped Moisturizer with Ceramides Cream. I don’t do this everyday, but for this cream – a little goes a LONG way.
- Apply sunscreen – vitamin C serum makes you more sensitive to UV rays, and a sunscreen is a must. Even without a serum, I always purchase a moisturizer with at least SPF30 (The Body Shop has some great options if you are looking for some). ! I have been using La Roche Possay SPF 60, which has been incredible. I don’t need a moisturizer after, which is a win win for me because that is less products on my face.
- Apply makeup as normal.
Night Skin Care Routine
- Take off makeup with Micellar Water.
- Wash face with the the Drunk Elephant Beste No. 9 Cleanser and Foreo Luna 2. Truth – sometimes I get lazy, and skip the foreo.
- Use a toner! I am loving this Rose water Facial Mist from Dermaniche. I got this a while ago.. and it’s running out! I recently made my own version of this and it turned out great!!
- Apply my nightly serum smoothie – yup that is what it is called. It is one pump of the Drunk Elephant B-Hydra Intensive Hydration Serum, one pump of the Drunk Elephant T.L.C Glycolic Night Serum, and two drops of the Drunk Elephant Virgin Marula Antioxidant Face Oil. Previously, I used to apply my absolute favourite, tried and tested for years, oil blend and used this every night for over 6 years. But I have switched over to Drunk Elephant products, and they are so worth the money friends.
- Apply a Retinol Cream. Now, I added Drunk Elephant A-Passioni Retinol Cream to my routine every other day since last April. I started using the retinol cream (as per package directions), twice a week mixed in with my night time face smoothie (described above). I have used the same tube since last year… so yes it comes with a price tag – but it lasts a while, and also my skin is just visibly different without makeup, and I have less need to wear a ton of makeup.
- Apply Eye Cream – I have recently started to use the Dermaniche’s All-in-one Under Eye Gel and I am a huge fan! my skin absorbs it right away, and its all natural which leaves my under eye area feeling hydrated and refreshed.
Thats it. That is literally what I do daily for my skin. Now, I also exfoliate with a drug store face mask twice a week. I find the only time i can do a scrub is when I shower. I know – weird, right? But thats the only time I can fit it in… and its better than not exfoliating at all!
Another thing is that I store the serums (vitamin C, b-hydra, and glycolic) in a min fridge in the bathroom. I know, I am weird… but I have read the potency of these products is much higher if they are refrigerated. Since they cost close to a $100 each, it seemed like a reasonable compromise to purchase a small fridge to make sure that my skin is getting the top notch formula that Drunk Elephant promises. This exact one is no longer in stock, but here is a similar one on Amazon.
I know, the Drunk Elephant products can be really expensive – so If I could recommend my TOP 2 they would be: The Marula Oil and the C-Firma Day Serum. I think, I would not be able to live without these. I am also linking some duo options that Sephora has for some Drunk Elephant products that you can try for a fraction of the cost for a smaller size, to see what the rave is all about. There is also a great travel sized set, The Littles, which is a great way to try out all the products.
So there you have it kids! MY daily skin care routine, as promised! I hope you found this useful. If you did please share with your friends. Also, almost all links used are affiliate links. SO if you choose to purchase anything I talk about, please use my links! I get a small commission from your purchase, at no extra cost to you, and it helps support me and my little fam <3 All the links are below 🙂
Until next time!